The Veteran Affairs (VA) Department offers assistance in making application for a wide range of benefits to our veterans, service members and their families.
VA benefits and services fall into these major categories:
- Disability benefits
- Education & training benefits
- Vocational rehabilitation & employment
- Home loans burial benefits
- Dependents and survivors benefits
- Life insurance
- Health care
You may be eligible for VA health care benefits if you are a veteran. You may be eligible for other VA benefits if you are a:
- Veteran’s dependent
- Surviving spouse or child of a deceased veteran
- Member of the military reserves or National Guard
- Active duty military service member
The Wapello County Veterans Affairs office provides the following services to eligible veterans and their families:
- Obtaining military records
- Distributing markers/flag holders for veterans graves
- Coordination of transportation to VA Medical Centers
- Iowa Veterans Home
- Veteran lifetime hunting & fishing license
- Veterans vehicle license plates
- Iowa Workforce Development
- Military exemption from real estate taxes
- County funded Veterans Relief Program
The Veterans Affairs office also provide emergency assistance with basic needs to veterans and families:
- Rent / mortgage payments
- Emergency medical
- Emergency dental
- Special needs
Our Pledge to You
- Treat you with courtesy, compassion and respect at all times.
- Communicate with you accurately, completely and clearly.
- Provide timely service to you.
- Make our services accessible to you.
- Fully answer your questions, concerns and complaints.
- Always give you our very best effort.