Jerry Parker has been a Wapello County Supervisor since 1998. For the most part, Parker was born and raised in Ottumwa. When he was 8-12 years of age he lived in Davenport, Iowa. Parker graduated from Ottumwa High School in 1963, is married and has four children and seven grandchildren.
Parker began his career in government in 1967 when he went to work for the City of Ottumwa Engineering Department. While there he served as president of the Local 1404, the city employees union. During that time Parker was elected to a term on the Riverfront Commission. He then served four terms on the Ottumwa City Council in charge of Parks and Public Property.
Parker was elected to three terms as the full-time Mayor of Ottumwa. He was then elected to two terms to the Sunnyslope Board of Trustees. In 1998 Parker was elected to the Wapello County Board of Supervisors and is currently serving his fourth term.
As Supervisor, Parker serves on the following Committees and Boards:
• Soap Creek Watershed Board
• 8th Judicial District Board
• Southern Iowa Area Detention Service Agency
• South Iowa Area Crime Commission
• Wapello County Area Agency on Aging
• Emergency Management Commission
• South East Iowa Response Group
• Local Emergency Planning Commission
• Liaison to Wapello County Board of Health
• Southern Iowa Economic Development Association
• Liaison to Wapello County Fair Board