Licenses, Registrations, Applications & Titles

For the Iowa Department of Natural Resources

  • Boat Registrations/Titles/Liens
  • Snowmobile Registrations/Titles/Liens
  • OHV Registrations/Titles/Liens
  • Hunting & Fishing Licenses
  • Fur Harvester Licenses
  • Habitat, State and Federal Duck Stamps & Trout Stamps
  • Deer & Wild Turkey Licenses
  • Landowner/Tenant Gun & Archery Deer & Turkey Permits

Registrations & Titles

What you need to register your boat

For information regarding registering your boat see the Boat Registration Guide 2018

What you need to register your snowmobile/off highway vehicle (OHV). OHV includes ATVs, Dirt Bikes and ORVs.

  • Application for Registration – can be obtained in the county recorder’s office or by clicking on the following link:  OHV Application.
  • Bill of Sale signed by the seller.  If OHV was purchased new from a dealer out of state a copy of the sales receipt showing sales tax paid is required.  Iowa dealers are required to forward the necessary registration paperwork to the county recorder’s office.
  • Registration – only required if the OHV was purchased out of state and that state requires registration of OHVs.
  • Title – an Iowa title is required if the OHV was registered in Iowa and had previously been issued an Iowa title.    If the OHV was registered out of state, a title is required if the registering state issues titles.

OHVs registrations are yearly and expire December 31 of each year.  A $5.00 penalty is assessed on all late renewals and purchases of OHVs on delinquent registrations.

Please call the Recorder’s office at 641-683-0045 to obtain the current registration fees for all vehicle types.


The Recorder’s Office sells hunting and fishing licenses as well as deer and turkey tags.

Landowners/Tenants may also register through our office or online through the Department of Natural Resources.  The Recorder’s Office is the only DNR vendor who can sell City of Ottumwa deer population management tags.  Call the Recorder’s office at 641-683-0045 to obtain current fees.  Applications for free/reduced hunting and fishing license may be obtained through our office or on the Department of Natural Resources website Disabled License Applications.